Sixth Annual Sun Defense Essay Contest
For the sixth year in a row, the National Skin Education Foundation, a nonprofit foundation whose leadership is comprised of the Florida Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery (FSDDS) officers, is sponsoring an essay contest among Florida elementary school children to help educate children and parents about the importance of sun safety and to promote literacy. There is no cost to the school or the school district.
One winner will be selected for every 25 essays received with a maximum of five winners. Once again, from the 5 overall winners, we will also select one (1) grand prize winner, who will receive an all-expenses-paid trip for the student, their family and the student's teacher, to attend the FSDDS Annual Meeting on May 24 – 27, 2013 at the Boca Raton Resort and Club, Grande Lakes Resort. The student and teacher will receive recognition at this meeting and the student will present their essay to the attendees.
- Students should write an essay, 500 words or less about the reasons why one would want to protect themselves and how they can protect themselves from the sun; and why their school should be awarded a shade.
- Students should turn their essays into their teacher.
- Each teacher should select one essay from their class to be submitted to the designed school personnel by Friday, January 25, 2013.
- The designated school personnel/committee must select one essay to represent your school in our statewide contest. Your school's winning essay should be handwritten and submitted in PDF format via e-mail to email@example.com, or faxed to 904-880-0034 along with the enclosed contest form no later than Friday, February 22, 2013.
- On the contest form, be sure to include a description of the area that needs the shade structure and tell what the area is used for.
- Only schools who have not previously won a sun shade from the FSDDS are eligible to win.
All entrants will be notified by Monday, March 25, 2013 by e-mail (to the address submitted with your essay) regarding the status of their entries. Please feel free to contact the NSEF office at 904-880-0023 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions regarding the contest. Additional contest forms and posters are available at www.fsdds.org. We are looking forward to another exciting contest and look forward to your school's participation. Best of luck!
Please note: Only schools who have not previously won a sun shade from the FSDDS are eligible to win.
Educational material is available at http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/